InInflatable pads in riding shorts
Inflatable pads in riding shorts is an old idea that Pump Shorts has newly revamped!
Years ago an Italian company "Campanolo" which makes the highest quality bicycle & racing components started to develop an inflatable device. It was to be used in the chamois of bicycle shorts to help ease the ailments associated with cycling, mainly saddle soreness. Other inventors have followed suit and also made attempts at developing an inflatable pad to go into the chamois of cycling shorts.
Why haven't we seen these on the market until Pump Shorts?
Why was this design abandoned?
Lets start with some key problems associated with your typical cycling shorts and bibs such as chafing and sweating in the seat, specifically the groin area that the chamois cover.
• CHAFING - Definition: to make or become damaged or sore by rubbing. (Cycling Magazine - Buy the best bike shorts you can afford. The pad will be better, the material will be better and the seams will be sewn (and located) in a way that will minimize friction and rubbing.) Also caused when skin rubs aganst moist and clammy surfaces.
• SWEATING & VENTILATION: We have all experienced sweating in the groin area on a long bicycle ride. This is caused by the lack of ventilation in the Chamois of the riding shorts.
In order to make something inflate in has to hold air. If a ballon or what Pump Shorts calls it "air bladder" is sewn into the chamois of cycling shorts it will obviously keep air from passing through the chamois. Thus there is no ventilation and sweating & moisture creating chafing and discomfort will occur. This was the main reason the inflatable pads were never fully developed and offered for sale.
NOT UNTIL NOW with PUMP SHORTS!
So what is the different with Pump Shorts?
What sets Pump Short's innovative design apart from all the other FAILED ATTEMPTS at Inflatable Pads is:
1) Pumps Shorts Bladders are not sewn into the chamois of the cycling shorts and bibs we make. In fact they are completely separate from the Chamois. We make our shorts an bibs like any other manufacturer (except better) as stated by cycling magazine; "The pad are better, the material is better and the seams are sewn (and located) in a way that will minimize friction and rubbing." Our shorts not only have all these qualities but our pads are very ventilated.
2) Pump Shorts revolutionary design places their bladders underneath the shorts and bib seat much like a saddle would be, so air can pass around them flowing into and through the chamois for cooling and wicking (Wicking fabrics are modern technical fabrics which draw moisture away from the body) which our chamois accomplish vert well.
3) Pumps Short's bladders are completely removable, being extremely strong, thin, and light weight.
On the SET UP page you can find an informative video showing how easy PUMP SHORTS & BIBS are used and how to install, remove and adjust the bladders for riding and cleaning.